Monday 21 March 2011

Aftercare? Dental implant?

Aftercare? Dental implant?

I had a dental implant placed on Friday, which was completely painless, and I’ve had no post op pain and minimal swelling.

I don’t have a crown on the implant, just the initial implant and the abutment/cap on the top. I have a couple of stitches, most likely to help the gum drape around the crown when it is placed? This was an ancient extraction site, I had the tooth out over 2 being ago.

I have, though been given very small info on how to best look after the implant and help to ensure the best chance of success

I have been told the following:
Cool soft foods for at least 5 days
No alcohol for at least 2 weeks
Antibiotics each 8 hours for 7 days
Rinse with Eludril 4 times daily

What I don’t know is when and how to brush the area in my mouth with the implant…..I am brushing my other teeth, but don’t know when and if I should GENTLY start to brush around the implant cap.

Anyone know? Dental professionals, or people that have really had implants – delight tell me what you reckon

Answer by Johnka
These sites are quite informative. (UK)

http://www.dentalhealth.org.uk/faqs/leafletdetail.php?LeafletID=20

http://www.dentanet.org.uk/public/dental-implants.html

Answer by Bill
You can brush it with a soft toothbrush. You won’t hurt it. The healing
cap will protect it. Your gums may be a small sore but that will subside in a few days.
When I had mine placed I didn’t do anything different although I did not have any stitches.
My pero didn’t say anything about alcohol and I didn’t have to rinse with anything.

Did you have more work done than just the placement?

Add your own answer in the comments!
See original here:
contemporary dental implant centre

Last year I broke my tooth on a popcorn. Since it cracked in 3 ways and broke the root, it was beyond saving.
After numerous consultations and a research on the internet I’ve chose for a dental implant. 3 of 4 general dentists recommended this one guy saying he’s one of the best.
He pulled the tooth and added the implant the very same day. I was going for check ups each 2 weeks, later each month, etc…you get the picture. After 4 months I got the crown. Everything looked peachy in anticipation of this April, when I went for a yearly check up. The oral hygienist who checked me (not the doctor!) said my gums are not closing enough and there’s a possibility of an infection in the future. I was told I may need a laser treatment in the near future. I specifically questioned, if I already have any infection, if there’s something going on..I didn’t, bone looked excellent.
She said I may schedule a 10 minute consultation with a doctor to talk about a future approach – $ 200 cost:(.
I’ve chose to wait for a next visit in 3 months, since the bone looked excellent and I’m not a bank robber… I kept the area absolutely clean, I brushed after each meal, rinsed with Listerine even after each drink, flossed around it and massaged the gums…
Now 2 weeks ago right before my trip to a doctor 2 pockets appeared on the gums. I immediately scheduled the visit the very same day. The doctor said I have a lot of bone loss around the implant and scheduled another bone graft surgery. I paid another $ 1000.
6 days after the surgery – on Tuesday – I felt like the tooth is loose, wiggly. I called the office, the doc didn’t have a time, but I spoke at least with an oral hygienist. She said it may be because the surgery…hmmmm!
Yesterday – on Friday – I called again and forced the doctor to see me immediately.
After 30 seconds of checking the darn thing out he says – I’m sorry Kate, but the implant failed…
This whole process costed me – $ 2000 for the first implant surgery + $ 800 for a bone around the titanium screw, $ 1500 for a crown (since it’s a different type and it’s MUCH expensive), $ 500 whitening, $ 1000 another bone graft last week + plus some office fees for an emergency visits (they charge you $ 85 if you need to see a doc the very same day + $ 25 for each X-ray)…!!!
The doctor says I won’t pay for the next week confiscation surgery and another bone graft. I will pay “ONLY” for another titanium implant, plus of course a new crown. He said in his exact words – You will pay for material to make it a moral for you to take a better care of your health!!!
I can’t believe he spoke to me like that after paying him THOUSANDS of dollars.
I was so upset, that I called 2 other doctors and 4 people, who had a surgery and they all said the same thing – he shouldn’t have done the implant the very same day after pulling the tooth. They usually just do bone graft to fill the space and let the bone mineralize(?). After few months, when the bone is strong enough, then they place the actual screw in….now my question is – is this the best way Why did he didn’t follow this procedure? Of course I developed the bone loss with no time for bone healing!!!
I don’t want to produce any distress to my doc. The only thing is that I really don’t reckon I want to pay another $ 1500. This time he will do that like other doctors…
I paid $ 6000 + by now, what is OUTRAGEOUS for 1 tooth! And I’m still not done…
At this point I don’t have to choose – I have an implant confiscation next Friday, plus a bone graft. Then if the bone will not heal quick enough, I’m going to consider a bridge. I don’t want to mess with a bone if it’s prone to infections…
Delight, could you write me your opinions – implant or bridge, and was this all really my fault?

Thank you for each opinion.
Yes, he is a periodontist with being of practice. That’s why I absolutely trusted him. Now I have to question not his skills, but the decisions he made.
And yes, the last bone graft I had done last week WITH an implant and a crown in their house. I reckon he saw it’s going south and this was his last attempt to save a day.

Answer by Beedunga The Mazurkoo
They saw you and your wallet coming a mile away and ripped you off
You shoulda just went with a bridge from the get go

Answer by a cup of tea
that dentist is ripping you off, get a dental plot blue cross blue shield and call 1-800-dentist. delight.

Answer by C
If the medical standard is to not do an implant the same day, I’d be getting ahold of my lawyer and filing a malpractice suit. Seriously. I know you don’t want to get the guy in distress, but 6,000 and “Sorry, it failed,”? That’s not an acceptable answer and you should not settle for it.

But yes, I’d just get a bridge.

Answer by no name
I am getting an implant also, just had molar extracted yesterday and they do not do implant same day as extraction, i have to wait till dec. before they will even give me a consultation so that’s my experience so far excellent luck hope it helps

Answer by Bill
Something sounds out of whack !!
Are you saying he extracted a tooth, placed an implant screw then did a bone graft after?

If that’s the case it sounds like he did it out of sequence. He should of extracted the tooth, waited awhile for the area to cool down then about a month later do the surgery for the graft. Wait at least six months (verify graft has taken) then house the screw. Screw needs at least 4 months to fully integrate with the bone before it becomes load bearing. Then the crown can be placed.

Couple questions — Is he a perodontist? How many successful implants has he placed? Whats his failure rate? Did he have a sterile environment?

I don’t know about this guy but my pero guaranteed everything for one year including the crown from my regular dentist. If it fails he redoes everything and my general dentist is paid again for the crown.
They get special insurance that covers any failures, of course it’s in the price of the implant somewhere.

You should go to a periodontist for a second opinion. I know it costs money to do this but it’s your mouth and teeth and you have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Edit: I once questioned my pero why if people have bone loss and teeth start to loosen why they just don’t do a bone graft around the teeth and fix the conundrum. He said it wouldn’t work.
So it sounds like your guy is trying to do something that won’t work.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment