Wednesday 23 March 2011

Dental Implant Advice Question?

Dental Implant Advice Question?

I got an dental implant placed for a front tooth nearly a year ago. I just got the healing cap placed last Monday and I am still in quite a bit of pain and I am a bit swollen. I’m just about out of pain pills. Should I call the doctor and let him know about the pain? Could it be I am taking a small longer to heal because I’m diabetic? (my sugars are very in control.)

Eh, I don’t want to signal like I’m buzzing or anything. Thanks so much.
Yes, what you described is exactly what occurred. He exposed the implant, (that had a bone graft last year when the initial implant was placed.) and he cut away some skin and placed an object that resembles a nail head. I had a couple of stitches. No other procedure was done that day. I then when to my family dentist everywhere he used a tool the screw something in and to adjust my flipper.

To me it feels more irritated and sore. The socket itself is painful though near my nose everywhere it hurt before is getting better. Just the socket and a small area around it is painful. The gum around the area is white. I hope this helps and thank you for your response.

Answer by Daniel
Lily, I’m a bit surprised you are having that much pain. I’m assuming you had a small surgical procedure to “uncover” the implant. I naturally do these with just a small local anesthesia and very small discomfort afterward, if any, for the patient. Placing the healing cap is very simple after confiscation of the take in screw. Did you have an additional procedure? Possibly some gingival (gum) surgery or bony grafting or confiscation? The diabetes, if well controlled should not effect your healing very much. I only counsel patients who are well controlled to be sure and maintain the glucose levels.

I’ll keep an eye on your question to check for more details.

Answer by gurug
Diabetics usually take longer to heal as you might know already. But, since you mention that your sugar is well under control that should not be a major factor in the healing. There might be some other conundrum like infection. They might prescribe some antibiotics to get the infection under control. There is no reason why you should suffer more pain that is necessary. Consult your dentist and get it checked out.

Again, there might be nothing and you may be just taking a small longer to heal. Anyway, there is no harm in getting a checkup.

All the best and hope your pain goes away soon and have gorgeous new tooth to show off :-)

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Read the original:
bone graft for dental implant

hey everyone. Thing is im a heavy smoker and tomorrow mornin i will have my dental implant surgery. Ive been readin lots of articles and message boards bout smoking and i just dont know what to reckon. Yea smokin is terrible and blah blah, its not gud 2 smoke after surgery but like half of the people still do. I just want to question if anyone can tell me how long they waited to have a ciggie after the surgery. Was it couple of days, weeks, month? Plus,how much pain can i expect after the surgery? Produce if there is pain im smokin lol. Cheers :)

Answer by grandpa walleye
Ideally you should wait 4-5 days before smoking as this will not only produce problems, but will delay healing. The sooner you smoke, the greater the odds of problems. So it is a roll of the dice. As far as post op pain, it usually is less than an extraction would have. Excellent luck with the implant.

Answer by gurug
Hey, I am not going to advice you to quit smoking ‘cos I’m sure you know that yourself….

Coming to implants. It’s very vital that you stop smoking for the period that your implants are healing. Reason, the smoke and the toxins in the ciggie will irritate the surgery wound and will preclude it from healing quick. The longer you wait the quicker will be the healing. :-) Sorry, but that’s how it works.

For eg: You have cut your finger. Instead of letting it heal, you are continuously prodding it, pulling at it, pouring hot, cold sauces over it and generally making life trying for that wound. Do you expect it heal quick?

Your smoking does exactly that to your implant.

Post surgery you will be prescribed some painkillers to get rid of the pain. Tell your dentist about your smoking habit (pain-related). They should accordingly write out the pills. The pain will go away in a few days time and then you get off the pain killers.

Just stay away from smoking as long as possible to give your implants better odds to heal and be converted into strong.

Answer by Dr. Dave
Smoking will lead to slower healing and lower success rates for dental implants. Best to wait at least 2 days after dental surgery.

Give your answer to this question below!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting answer Dr. Dave. I have always wondered how those types of habits would affect dental implants. So does smoking only affect the healing process? I have a uncle who smokes and just got dental implants I wonder if he knows about the side affects of smoking.

    George Puzo | http://www.clocktower-dental.com/implant-dentistry/

    ReplyDelete