Wednesday 23 March 2011

Q&A: Dental implant and bone graft?

Q&A: Dental implant and bone graft?

I went for my dental implant consult now. I will need the longer procedure because of 70% bone loss in that area, It was a root canal then Apico then infection. Any way I was told to have the tooth removed, I would need bone graft, the way it was described it sounded like “bone in a bottle” everywhere the perio buys it from “reputible sources” when I questioned about disease. It would be place there and then wait for it to grow and then I would hopefully be finished in a year, since it needs to regenerate etc. Anyone been through this, was it painful, was there swelling, I know with the Apico I could not go to work for a week because my face was twice it’s normal size. It is not an emergency this minute since the infection has cleared for the time being but there is the bone loss and I estimate waiting too long would just make more bone disappear. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Answer by g-yam
my aunt had her bottom teeth done. – not to scare you or anything, but she said it was so painful that she never went back to get the top row done. – i’m sorry. – excellent luck. i know it’s a painful and expensive process.

Answer by researcher
I can only comment on you bone graft proclamation. You stated that they said they will wait for “it” to grow. You may have misunderstood them. When implanting an allograft (donated bone from an outside source), that bone is dead and has no live tissue in it. The goal of this is for YOUR bone to grow INTO the allograft, and yes, this takes some time.

I work in surgery doing a lot of spinal fusions in which we use allograft bone. This works the same with ANY allograft bone. It fills the void and the hope is that your body will grow into and around it.

Just wanted to clarify this for you.

Give your answer to this question below!
Read this article:
bridge dental implant

Im now 16 and have a root canal to my front tooth because when I was in 6th grade the permanent tooth got completely knocked out. He had place the same real tooth in and just gave me a root canal. My dentist says that we shouldn’t get a dental implant in anticipation of I end playing football because it may get knocked out because of the frequent blows/hits that I receive. The reason why I don’t keep the root canal tooth is because it is blueish/blackish and it is deteriorating because my body is rejecting it. He instead said I should either get a Marilyn bridge or a retainer type mechanism that I would just wear around except while playing football. I don’t want to look stupid with a retainer mechanism thing for sure. WIth all of these options I have to get a quicker flapper or something (fleeting tooth). So I’m just asking if I can get a second opinion. I also want to know if I can kiss and make out with my fleeting quicker flapper mechanism.

Answer by Hollywood
I’m a bit confused with your question, but I’ll try to help. typically, when you get a tooth knocked out, then there is no “putting it back in”. the tooth typically won’t “last”.

i had numerous teeth removed, and wear a “flipper” (that’s what i reckon you mean”. it’s basically an acrylic piece that has a “tooth” attached. it fits with a small hook onto a tooth you already have, and you remove it at night when you sleep.

you can kiss and eat with it. not a huge conundrum. you DEFINITELY want to wear a mouth guard, and talk to the dentist. you might want to just remove it for the games, just to play it safe. assuming that your dentist and the lab is excellent, then no one will notice that you have a fake tooth. implants are about $ 3800 for ONE TOOTH, so the flipper is a lot cheaper.

Answer by Sara M
sure you could I don’t see why there would be a conundrum

Answer by miss m.
get an implant when you are done playing football. You can make out with a flipper if it falls out take it out when you make out

Answer by Dr. Albert, DDS (UNITED STATES)
I WOULD ALSO ADVISE AGAINST HAVING AN IMPLANT NOW WHILE YOU PLAY FOOTBALL.
YOU MIGHT FIND A FLIPPER VERY COMFORTABLE AND YOUR PARTNER WON’T TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

Answer by Margaret
Dental implant surgery is very safe currently. My cousin got her dental implants and Lasik surgery in India by a company called Indian Health Guru Consultants. The Price for dental and Lasik surgery is very less in India. She paid 25% of the price she was quoted in America.

Indian Health Guru Consultants is very well-known in India They arrange Dental surgery, jaw surgery, Lasik eye surgery, Dental Implants etc for foreign patients in India. I read a lot about them in the Newspapers and magazines- about their patient tales.
They arrange financing for USA, Canadian, UK and other international patients who plot to have surgery abroad for low cost, as dental and eye surgery is not covered by insurance. They also have photos pasted of their International patients. You can checkout their website. There are huge cost savings. As a doctor I personally believe that surgery can be easily handled in India, as the quality of healthcare available In India is simply best in the world. The surgeons are USA/UK trained and facilities are 5 star.

http://www.indianhealthguru.com

Hope this helps.

Add your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment