Tuesday 22 March 2011

help! smoking and dental implant / dental bridge?

help! smoking and dental implant / dental bridge?

i got a my right 2nd back molar removed a month ago from now
My jaw is charitable me soreness because of favoring one side chewing ( I have tmj) I need to choose how to fill the whole; either dental implant or bridge

I DO smoke, and i have heard you are not suppposed to smoke a month before getting an implant.. my question is… what is best for helping tmj and is the better choice… dental implant or dental bridge.. and what complications may rise if I quit smoking a week before getting the implant and stop smoking from there on?
* ps. ive read that you must quit smoking a month before implant surgery and a month after…is this really right?!
i dont want any problems.. i want the implant because it secures the bone as well, so it will not start bone loss in the jaw..but im frightened the dental implant will not hold because i do smoke( even though i would definately quit forever after getting the implant).. delight help :(

Answer by PenPress
NO SMOKING is advisable for a few weeks………

If you do, the implant will fail as a result of poor blood supply to the area……

…this will give you an excuse to quit smoking, watch your health and save a lot of money.

Add your own answer in the comments!
See more here:
3i dental implant

Have you ever had a dental implant? How is it like?

Now I was told by my dentist that I have a tooth which better should be extracted but it can also go extracoronal restoration (as far as I know). So I’m left to choose produce the amusing thing is- my doc didn’t tell me if it’s possible to fit the crown over it if it’s going restoration. because the conundrum is- there is not enough remaining solid tooth.

Dental implant seems awesome but as they have to drill it in the jawbone there can be various complications as well. This way is usually not supported but what should I do if don’t have much of my tooth anymore?

So the question is- is it possible to fruitfully restore the tooth and have a porcelain cap (crown) on it, or is it alas and I should have an implant?

these problems suck aye

Thanks
haha I know it’s puzzling produce I’m puzzled for myself. that’s usual when I’m outta dentists room. Well, the dentist told that she could restore the tooth but she can’t promise it a long lifespan produce it can just brake. but having a crown it shouldn’t be an issue, right?? also, yes, I’m having a root canal.
and it’s lower 1st molar

Answer by ♥Like♥
My man had the crown, they never got it impeccably even and that tooth is sensitive to cold. I reckon the crown is worth it because it’s your own tooth under there and it still has a bit of feeling in it.

Answer by Floyd S….
I’m a bit puzzled why the DDS would tell you it should be extracted and then give you other options. Had he or she said that extraction is an “option”, that’s a different situation. As far as the quantity of the tooth that is now present, there are any digit of ways to deal with that, one is called a Post and Core. One or more posts are seated into the top of the tooth’s remaining surface leaving a part of the post exposed. Special dental material is then stacked in and around the post covering them up and building a bulk of material that can be reshaped after it sits. The buildup material (core) can then be shapped providing an adequaute tooth like stump on which to seat a crown. As for the Implant, they work very well but you must know that the expense will be FAR greater than the P&C with a crown

Answer by nl254
Implant is the better choice! If you choose to restore the tooth that is structurally unsound, you are looking at max 5-10 being for the life of the tooth. The money you spend on restoring this tooth can equal that of an implant (15 plus being restoration). The tooth can decay, requre root canal. possible new crown in the span of time. in addition, once the tooth is lost possible bridge. If the adjacent teeth are signal, I would definately recommend implant. Implant does not decay and maintenance is min.
I don’t know everywhere this tooth is located in your mouth. If you can let me know, I can doubtless give you better info,

I am a surgical assistant for a periodontist that specializes in dental implant. There is also a website that you can go to for further info. They are the founding fathers of implants
Their website is www.nobelbiocare.com

Excellent luck! Hope this info helps

Answer by CDA~NY
It sounds like you (and your dentist) have already made up your minds about this tooth…

Since the root canal treatment has been started, after it’s healed a core or post & core will be placed, along with a fleeting crown. Teeth be converted into brittle after root canal treatment, so it’s common and advised to have a crown placed over it for additional support. Once the impession has been taken for the permanent crown, you should have it inserted within three weeks, since it has to go to a lab to be made.

If you opted to extract the tooth, an implant would have been one of your options, provided you are a candidate for one. The other option would be a permanent bridge.

Implants are not covered by insurance companies, and are rather pricey. (You didn’t say if you had insurance or not, so I thought I’d add this in). It also takes longer to have an implant, since you have to wait 4-6 months to see if your body accepts or rejects it… then the healing cap gets removed, the implant placed, and the impression for the crown.

Excellent luck to you!
:)

Add your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment