Tuesday 22 March 2011

Q&A: Dental Implant, bone graft and sinus lift for upper left molar - questions for people with experience.?

Q&A: Dental Implant, bone graft and sinus lift for upper left molar - questions for people with experience.?

I have an giant dread of the dentist, small tolerance for pain and now have the lovely choice of deciding on a bridge or dental implant to replace #14 left upper molar. I have read answers on here that suggest an implant; though my case is a small specific and I would really appreciate any feedback from people who have really had an implant or bridge for back upper molars or just back molars. The tooth in question had had 2 failed attempts at a root canal and 1 failed attemp at the root canal/oral surgery through the gum line. Now the endodonitst is signifying an implant with a bone graft and sinus lift. My concern is the pain and complications with and after the surgery, not to mention how will the lift affect my sinuses in the long run, as I continually get sinus headaches. Delight anyone with actual experience delight respond. I am up at 4:20am and my dental appointment consultation is at 8:30am. I will have to choose in the next few days as the decay/infection hurts too much

Answer by Pink Cowgirl
I had a sinus lift with a bone graft and an implant done on #14, which is the first molar. It was due to a failed rootcanal and instead of going to an endodontist to try to save it, I just elected to pull the tooth, do a sinus lift and have the implant placed. I worked for the dentist that did the extraction, sinus lift and implant. It didn’t hurt at all. I wasn’t sedated. I just used a local and nitrous oxide. The only part I really noticed was the sinus lift, because he used a mallet and an osteotome (A metal instrument) to lift us the sinus and it would jar my head each time he hit it. After it was over, I even got up and cleaned my own room and instruments, so it couldn’t have been that terrible.

Everyone is different though. You may want to be sedated. I don’t reckon that is necessary, but it is up to you.

What do you reckon? Answer below!
Continue reading here:
3i dental implant

I turned 18 in October of last year and in my most recent dental consultation, a dental surgeon suggested I wait in anticipation of I’m 20 or 21 before I get a dental implant. The two consultations prior to my last one both said I was a qualified candidate for a dental implant, but neither spoke as detailed as the last dental surgeon who specified the reasons as to why I should wait. He did not take a CT scan and said that he could tell I was still growing and advised against a dental implant at this age. Though, from many sources online, 18 being is the minimum age to get a dental implant for males. Also, considering that the first two consultations (which occurred within the past 2 being) determined my qualified standing and that, according to online sources, further delay can decrease the available bone above the area of my gone tooth (which could lead to the need of a bone graft), should I still push for a dental implant?

Answer by Caper
If you really reckon you need it and you can afford it.

Answer by No Name
I would reckon at 18 your bones might still be growing. Keep in mind, an implant is supported by titanium screw that is placed into your bone, so might not be excellent for a growing bone. I would reckon, it is in your best interest to wait, it will cost more (both health wise and $ $ $ ) to right the bone defects should they rise because of the implant.
But the last call is yours, if you can find a doctor who will do it ASAP and you know the risks – go for it.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment