Monday 28 March 2011

HELP! I broke a crown over a dental implant!?

HELP! I broke a crown over a dental implant!?

In one of my front teeth, I have a dental implant, which naturally has a crown over it. Now, being the idiot I am, I managed to crack it all the way crosswise the back, and it broke. The whole bottom half and front piece (which I estimate it connected to it) are wiggly and loose to the point everywhere I dread if I eat or drink anything, it will fall off. I called my dentist, she’s having me come in first thing tomorrow morning. In the meantime, what do I do? If it falls off, will it hurt me? I know I might cut my tongue on the edge of the top piece, but would anything else potentially harmful happen to me? The screw can’t come out while I’m asleep or anything, right?

Answer by michael t
sounds like the implant post screw has come adrift.
possibly the implant is placed at an acute angle which is causing undue stress to the post.
if the crown is not removable then it will need to be cut off and the post will need to be resecured.

Answer by Nebula D
I’m a dentist.

Without seeing what’s going on, I cannot make a diagnosis.

Crowns, when they fail, fail catastrophically. This means that something breaks off completely. The fact that something is still attached to the implant and wiggling, though, suggests that the abutment screw is loose. The crown may certainly be hurt and in need of replacement, but my concern is the implant. Implants, just like tooth roots, can break (which would also produce the screw to be loose).

As for the whole thing coming off in your sleep, it’s certainly possible. I would recommend sleeping with your head propped up.

Give your answer to this question below!
See the article here:
cost dental implant surgery

I recently had a titanium dental implant placed. Just tuesday, the dentist place the finishing touch (the crown) on-top. She tested the bite, and adjusted it in anticipation of it felt fine…but I still feel like I am occasionally biting down on the new crown. It’s nothing major, but I am ALWAYS aware of it as I eat. Is this normal? Should I just be patient?

Also, the crown that was made appears much too white in certain illumination. Is there any way to darken the new ceramic cap? I know it’s possible to have things redone, but I have a certain illness which makes it trying for my body to undergo stresses like excessive drilling, bone grafts, etc. Is there any way to alter the color of my new tooth without cutting it off and starting all over? Any help would be appreciated.

Answer by grandpa walleye
First of all get the bite checked. it may need just a tiny bit of adjustment yet. As to your second question, there is no way to alter the color of them. It would require cutting it off and having it remade. Different lightening situation will affect the color appearance. Fluorescent, incandescent, and natural lighting, all will alter the color perception. Most dentists will try to contest the shading to natural daylight situation. Excellent luck.

Answer by JW
Have the bite checked again. It appears that it might be a bit off. I am not sure how long ago the implant was placed but the healing process takes weeks to months. Even if you don’t feel the crown when you chew I would still try not to place too much pressure on it in anticipation of 4-6 weeks after surgery. If you place too much stress to ahead of schedule the implant will not integrate and it might fail.
You cannot change the color of a permanently cemented crown. You can question your dentist if a fleeting cement was used. If so he might be able to remove it without drilling. Would whitening your teeth help the crown contest better? If not I would have it replaced if it bothers you. Get some ear plugs and take a sedative and you will never know what happen. I would recommend visiting the lab that will be making the crown as they can usually contest it well.
To learn more about teeth whitening you can visit:

http://www.virtualdentalcenter.net/tooth-whitening.html

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment