Tuesday 5 April 2011

Q&A: Do you allways have to have a sinus lift if your gonna get an upper molar implant ?

Q&A: Do you allways have to have a sinus lift if your gonna get an upper molar implant ?

I broke my thoot and i need an extraction and i was considering a dental implant , the pace is the upper first molar , Will you allways need to do a sinus lift procedure or thats not allways and just in some cases ?

Answer by kjw
That is a very excellent question. It all depends on how much bone is available. If you are considering this, I would certainly have an oral surgeon do a surgical extraction (less bone ruined) with a bone graft (bovine/cow bone — not yours) to make as much bone as possible in the area to give the best chance of doing an implant without a sinus lift. Talk to the dentist or oral surgeon about your options.

Answer by Bill
Usually if you’re getting an implant because of bone loss. If the tooth was just knocked out in an accident, etc. then doubtless not.
Bone loss allows the sinus membrane to sag.

If you need to get a sinus lift then more than liable the doctor will advise you to get a CAT scan of your upper jaw.

Give your answer to this question below!
Read more here:
cost for dental implant

I realize alot of this needs to be gone over with the surgeon performing the implant, if I choose to go this route.

Back description. Broke one front tooth, broke the other when I was 11. Had crowns place in. Quick forwards 10 being, the tooth that had broken initially re-broke underneath the crown, my dentist says he thinks it failed due to microfractures from the impact of the original break. So we go over the options. He tells me that he couldn’t gaurentee how long a post/crown would last due to my particular case (deep bite, bruxisim, condition of the remaining tooth). He grinds down the tooth to the gum line and removes some of the gutta percha to seat a fleeting post/crown. The remaining tooth breaks.

I otherwise have a healthy jaw. A crown or a bridge isn’t ideal in this situation, and I was too distraught after finding out that an implant is the best option.

What have been your experiences with implants? What kind of implant? What are the risks? What is the recovery time?
Delight add your thoughts and any comments on any issues I might have missed, thanks for answers.
Also, I need braces to fix my bite and to ultimately cure the bruxisim. Is this possible with an implant?
If you’re not going to take up the question(s) then don’t answer… is it really that trying?
Laura, unfortunately this is a front tooth. I will not have a gap between the neighboring tooth and the other front tooth.
well, that comment was to both laura’s I estimate. The tooth does not permit a crown to be placed (the remaining tooth is below the gum line, I have about 1/3rd of the tooth remaining between the gum line and my jaw) and a bridge is also not ideal due to the crown on the adjacent tooth.
MK, my teeth continue to shift and the mouth guard made prior to this crown breaking no longer fits. I’m going to get another one made after this hell is over with.

Thanks for the excellent few answers towards the bottom guys.

Answer by George M
eather get the implant or i’ther place up or shut up

Answer by Laura
A friend of mine has an implant from around 15 being ago, and it has not been a conundrum. I’ve gotten a root canal about ten being ago. No conundrum with it. The dentist who gave it to me said it should last five being. Another dentist says that they can last forever. I prefer porcelain veneers on the front instead of crowns. They look more normal. I believe that the implants will be fantastic. You may or may not need to check his references.

Answer by laurabird
I reckon implants are a waste of money. You body may later reject the implant or even pressure may produce you to lose. Yes I agree all dental surgeons will argue me on this, but i am against it. I have seen them only make money doing it now,and a few being down the line after losing it,getting you to do a bone graft to refill area of implant lost and then redo the implant again. More money.

I am dental assistant. hehe

Answer by MK
Implants fuse to the bone and are THE best alternative in dentistry now, especially in cases like yours. Healing time, depending on the implant used (Oral Surgeon will choose the type) can be ready to load a crown from 3-6 mos. A fleeting flipper (acrylic partial) can be used in the interim.
If you are considering braces, get in for a consult as soon as possible to discuss everywhere the implant should be placed and how all this will line up with your current dentition situation.
Bruxism- why has your current dentist not recommend/or made you an appliance to wear to help alleviate this condition?????

Answer by B.Woorley
At your age a implant would be your best bet. They’re permanent and stable. The chance of failing is extremely small. A bridge ends up damaging the supporting teeth.

Give your answer to this question below!

No comments:

Post a Comment