Monday 18 April 2011

Tooth helps blind see again?

Tooth helps blind see again?

I read about this surgery called osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis and they take a tooth and implant it in the cheek of the patient and place optics in the tooth grow it and then fix the eye. Clarify to me why they need a tooth and not something else, why they cant grow it somewhere else and how exactly the optics are placed inside the tooth. Also what kind of blind does this help. Im sure it cant help everyone or it wouldn’t be as rare as it is.

Answer by PenPress
Because the tooth used is a molar that comes with at least 2 or 3 roots and attach to the tip of the orbit well.

Also, the pulp chamber of that tooth aligns and extends to accommodate the visual pathway….

…another reason to use the individual’s own tooth is to preclude rejection……

…not all blind cases qualify for that surgery though….

What do you reckon? Answer below!
Continue reading here:
bone graft dental implant

I have extracted #12 couple of week ago due to some conundrum. Now I have to choose implant or bridge crown or partial denture? My #11 an #13 both are healthy. that is why i don’t want bridge crown. I mean i don’t want to touch my healthy tooth. Implant: I have very dread from surgery and also I can not trust my dentist 100%. Because I am studying in abroad (India), so not comfortable with dentist here.I am thinking of partial crown . Is that okay. Delight help me?
Thank you cstep. When i get denture.. Can I keep , if I don’t want implant? Any side effect to keeping partial denture in the future?

Answer by cstep
Question for the partial. They should be able to make a fleeting one in anticipation of you get home. Just say you don’t have the money. Then get an implant done, you can stay wide awake for it. It’s not that terrible of a procedure and it is rather quick. Best of luck! :o )

Give your answer to this question below!

No comments:

Post a Comment