Monday 18 April 2011

Dental implant failure?

Dental implant failure?

I have had implants since i was 18 and am now 34 they have always been in brilliant condition and have never had problems wit them other than a small loosening when they were first done. One has been feeling loose lately but when i look in the mirror i notice nothing out of the ordinary. More an inexplicable feeling of unease. I feel it moves but can witness no evidence of this and it feels lower in my mouth but i can see no threads. If it is coming out this has to be very abnormal since it is approx 16 yrs ancient. I am a pack a day smoker but always have been. Delight tell me what to look for and if there is any way to save it.
I have regular exams and cleanings. I have had it looked at by the othordontist who place the whole procedure into works and have an appt. with a periodontist in 2 mnths. My Ortho said it was not ofr him to diagnos but it seemed as though it may be failing and to question the periodontist how to keep it as long as possible. Appt. is 2 mnths aways seems like alot of atrophied time. Thank you for help so far

Answer by Bill
The crown may be coming loose. You should have it evaluated by a dentist.
It’s also possible that you could be experiencing bone loss around the implant which can lead to loosening.
You will need a periodontal exam to determine if there’s any underlying problems.
There could be some pockets opening up around the implant which could undermine it’s stability.
I’m sure there’s a couple ways to save it.

You don’t say if you see the dentist evenly, get regular cleanings, xrays, etc.
If you do then they should of been able to see any problems developing.

ps: I wouldn’t classify 16 yrs as a failure.

Answer by grandpa walleye
An implant done 16 being ago depended on mechanical maintenance of the bone to hold it in They are not like the newer osseo integrated implants that really fuse to the bone and are in your jaw tighter than a natural tooth. The ancient implants were lucky to last 5 being. So it is incredible that yours have lasted this long, but I would not be surprised if it may be on its way out.

Answer by John Bridger – DDS
I would immediately see a dentist that is experienced in dental implants. A loose implant, even if you can't really see any signs of movement, is not a excellent.. Our natural teeth have a membrane or ligament that surrounds the roots of all of the teeth, that acts like a "shock absorber" between the tooth root and the bone. Dental Implants do not have this membrane and as a result are very solid in the bone. Any movement of the implant is not normal and usually a sign it is a failing implant. Though occasionally the ATTACHMENT (abutment) in the implant can be converted into loose or unscrewed and that can be easily be flat. Smoking is a huge contra-indication when placing implants, but it sounds as if you were able to have success, at least for the last 16 yrs. Hope this helps!

Answer by gurug
Wow, 16 being is a long time. It may still be possible to save it, if you can get a periodontist to take a look at it. Meanwhile don’t place further strain on the implant. If you can cut down on your smoking that would be fantastic too. In case there is some infection or other underlying conundrum smoking will only further worsen it.

If you reckon 2 months is a long time then phone and question around may be some other peridontist will be willing take a look and let you know what the conundrum might be and how to preclude aggravation it.

Add your own answer in the comments!
Excerpt from:
cost dental implant surgery

I’m having dental implants done, 4 upper, and I don’t like the thought of sedation. It will be 2 hours long. Will it be really dreadful if I stay wide awake through it all?

Answer by Gracinda
I never had any sedation, just shots.

Answer by bambamitsdead
Talk to your dentist… he may be willing to do it under local or hypnosis, but if he’s not willing to do implant work except under general sedation there is no point in worrying if you can take it or not. Unless you’d change dentist.

The pain will be huge… never had implant work done but had work under small anesthetic and it hurts. Implants would be worse.

Answer by dew m
what I know is the procedure will produce excruciating pain without anesthesia ..so It’s better to be sedated .You can question your doctor to see what options you have and require more info. abut each one .Excellent Luck!

Answer by Rachel Smith
Hello
it will not hurt as the dentist will numb you up before doing anything with an injection. I have oral sedation during major dental work. As I get nervous the dentist gives me Valium which helps me relax and stay cool and although I am wide awake and aware of everything, time goes really quick and the entire thing is over before I know it. Can you not have waking oral sedation like me? I would never want to be place out really for dental work, but oral sedation and staying wide awake is the next best thing.

I naturally take 1 Valium the night before, helps me sleep. The 1 pill on waking up. Then another pill 1 hour before the dentists. The pills make you feel like you do not care about getting work done, they make the feeling of dread go away. And time flies by and the only effect they have on me is feeling abit sleepy afterwards when I get home. Which soon wears off. Reckon mine were £7 for my last visit( 3 pills for a root canal which took 1 hour)

But whatever you choose, it will not hurt. The dentist will make sure everything is numb before doing anything to you. I am sure you will be ok.
Hope that helps

What do you reckon? Answer below!

No comments:

Post a Comment