Friday 8 April 2011

Dental Implants - Can the crown be removed?

Dental Implants - Can the crown be removed?

Let’s say I get a dental implant. If, in one year from then, I choose I need a lighter crown, is it possible to replace the crown already attached to the implant?

Much difficulty?

Answer by MartyMicFly
It is not very trying naturally. it mainly depends on what the dentist used to cement the crown on with. If you do not have the crown yet then clarify this to your dentist. He will use something that is not as strong when compared to the resin based cements. Or you dentist might choose to use a crown and implant abutment that requires you to use a small screw and secure the crown. If you don’t already have the crown and want to whiten your teeth. Then i would recommend that you whiten your teeth first and achieve the shade that you want then get the crown. though to answer your question the crown can be removed.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Original post:
3i dental implant

I have to get a back bottom molar removed and am getting an implant done. I know the implant will be stronger than my natural root but, will the crown placed on top of the screw be stronger than say a crown on top of a natural tooth or will it be just as strong/weak?

Answer by angelbaby684
really the crown is a small stronger beacause the process to even get a crown is about 5 steps and trust me its painful. I’ve already had me done..learned the hard way…

Answer by Daniel
Fascinating question. The implant itself is made from titanium and is therefore stronger than a normal tooth root. The implant on the other hand has no “give” like a real tooth does due to the ligament holding the tooth in bone. Because of the no “give”, implant crowns have to be very carefully plotted. The crown would be made of the same materials as a similar crown placed on a natural tooth. Since the material would be the same, the crown strength is the same. A porcelain-metal crown would really have a higher propensity to break the porcelain due to the “give” factor not being in house. If that doesn’t answer the question let me know, I’ll check back.

Dr. Dan

P.S. Sorry, I have to disagree with Dr. Bridger. I see at least 3-4 procelain crown breaks a week. The underlying metal is intact, but the porcelain can and does break. While I see this less in implant supported restorations that have been fabricated with proper occlusion and no interfering contacts, I still see this on a regular basis. If Dr. Bridger has never seen a porcelain break in 35 being, he may be the most lucky Dentist I know!!

Answer by John Bridger – DDS
The crowns used over natural teeth and the crowns placed over implants are made out of the same materials. All crowns are pretty strong. That is why we use them, to "strengthen" a tooth. The implant doubtless is the strongest and most successful procedure we do in dentistry, but the crown placed over it could break if they are by porcelain. Though, I have never seen that happen in 35 being. If you are particularly concerned about that remote possibility and if the tooth is a "back" tooth you could have the dentist use a full gold crown and then you would not have to worry about any possibility of breakage. Excellent Luck.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment