Friday 3 June 2011

Options for missing tooth?

Options for missing tooth?

I’ve been wearing a retainer for 4+ years now because I have a missing tooth and its embarrassing to not have it in but having it in is nearly as embarrassing now that I’m nearly 20 years ancient. I’m a smoker so I’d have to quit to get a join but that will not happen. I would get an establish but my dentist says the teeth next to the missing one would be killed if an establish is place in.

So what are my options besides quitting smoking? I’ve seen things that look like retainers without the metal wire in the front and have the fake tooth on them. What is this called?

Answer by ~cher~
My husband has a missing tooth, and he had 3 options from the dentist- partial denture, a join, and… I don’t remember the third.

BTW, he did stop smoking, but not just for the new tooth!

Answer by me who?
I have never heard you have to quit smoking to get a tooth replaced. The options are establish, join and partial. Sure if you smoke then your natural teeth will pick up stain that the join will not pick up, but you can still smoke if you want to…none of my smoking patients ever quit for a join. LOL.

Answer by JoyRS
First of all, unless the teeth that are next to the missing tooth are abnormally close, there is no way an establish would “kill” the additional teeth. I would recommend seeing an oral surgeon to see if they recommend an establish in that area.

Seeing that you are only 20 years ancient, an establish is your best option. A join would require filing down the teeth on any side of the missing tooth and putting crowns on persons teeth. Ultimately persons teeth will be lost and you will also lose bone in the area of the missing tooth.

The establish might cost more to start with, but it is a life long fix, disparate a join or a flipper (which is basically what you have now with your retainer).

You don’t have to quit smoking to get an establish, but it is recommended for at least the first five days to help the establish fuse with the bone (as well as your lifelong health).

Excellent luck.

What do you reckon? Answer below!
Read more from the first source:
contemporary dental establish centre

No comments:

Post a Comment